“Such are the perfections of fiction...Everything it teaches is useless insofar as structuring your life: you can’t prop up anything with fiction. It, in fact, teaches you just that. That in order to attempt to employ its specific wisdom is a sign of madness...There is more profit in an hour’s talk with Billy Graham than in a reading of Joyce. Graham might conceivably make you sick, so that you might move, go somewhere to get well. But Joyce just sends you out into the street, where the world goes on, solid as a bus. If you met Joyce and said 'Help me,' he’d hand you a copy of Finnegans Wake. You could both cry.” – Gilbert Sorrentino, Imaginative Qualities of Actual Things


Saturday, July 3, 2010

Read My Story in The Age!

My short story, 'The Anomaly', is in The Melbourne Age today; it's not online, so you'll actually have to like, you know, leave your house and buy a print copy at a physical store if you want to read it. I can, however, confidently recommend the story to you, and I might humbly add that it has been called 'the best work of short prose written in the English language since the Magna Carta' (by me, just now, in this blog post). What's that you say? The Magna Carta wasn't written in English? Ugh, whatever, details...
          I've also got a review in the The Australian, which you can read here.
          Today's Age also mentions my article on book piracy,'The Pirate Code',  in a review of the new issue of Overland, too.
          Over the last few weeks, Known Unknowns has also  been reviewed (twice!) in The Melbourne Age (once in the A2 and once in the Sunday Age). Sadly, the reviews aren't online so I can't link to those, but I can link you to this.
          I'm happy about all of the mainstream press coverage, I've received, but, unfortunately, my master plan to build an American media empire here in the heart of Australia by publishing a book of literary short stories in a run of a few thousand with a small publisher has recently been uncovered by Mel Campbell at The Enthusiast, who has argued that my book of short stories is a work of 'cultural imperialism'. Erm, OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment